Monday, February 7, 2011

Some of My Best Friends Are Fictional Characters

On Wednesday I wrote about how the authors at the Montgomery County Teen Book Festival answered what one book they'd save from their burning house (I still shudder at the thought). Another question was about what person from the past they'd like to be friends with. Here's how they answered:

Lois Lowry thought the writer of the Little Lulu comics would be fun to hang out with because Lulu was was always outsmarting people, especially boys. She's intrigued that the author's name was listed only as "Marge" and would love to know how that happened. (So Marge was doing the one-name thing before Madonna and Beyonce.)  Thomas Sniegoski had a comic book answer too; he's a comic book writer himself, among other things, and wishes he could meet the famous comic book writer and artist Jack Kirby.

Anna Godbersen chose Ernest Hemingway--not a surprise, since we know from the saving a book from your house fire post that she's a big Hemingway fan, but Jeff Stone had the same answer. Despite his love for Herman Melville, he thinks he'd be too hard to talk to, while Hemingway seems like a guy he could drink and fish with.

Justina Chen would like to meet with Amelia Earhart because of her brave pioneer spirit.

Those are all good answers, but when I thought about what historical figures I'd like for a BFF, I kept thinking of fictional characters. Maybe it's just more fun to think about being friends with a character from a book instead of a real person. Here are a few I thought of:

Harriet from Harriet the Spy. I'm sure we'd have fun wandering around the neighborhood looking for adventures and writing in our notebooks. I remember wanting to be Harriet when I read Harriet the Spy and The Long Secret, and I even had a notebook where I wrote down things I observed. I don't remember what I wrote, but it's probably a good thing no one ever found it.

Sophia from The Color Purple. She'd be a blast to hang out with. Plus, she'll tell you exactly how she feels, and anyone who crossed you would get a punch in the face.

So many people from the Harry Potter series, but the Weasley Twins in particular. They'd always keep you laughing, no matter what's going on. And how much fun would it be to go to school at Hogwarts?

Katniss from The Hunger Games series. A loyal friend, and when times are rough she'll hunt down some food for you. Hanging out with Peeta and Gale would be an added bonus.

Jacob Black from the Twilight series. What? He'd make a great space heater. You know how cold it is outside?

I'm not the only one with friends from books, am I? What literary characters would be your ideal BFFs?

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to get all Zen with Marcus Flutie from Meg McCafferty's Jessica Darling series. I'd drive around with Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty from On The Road. And I'd share a few units of alcohol with Bridget Jones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Weasley twins!

    You'd have to agree to share them with me, you know.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loretta, I haven't read the Jessica Darling series or On The Road-- I'll have to check those out! But yes, Bridget Jones would be a hilariously fun friend.

    And of course, Shelley-- that's why there are two of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. replica rolex watches, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of replica rolex explorer watches, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete